This is a great reference document for employers that deals with workplace impairment. it also contains a sample Workplace Policy Regarding Substance Dependence/Impairment you may wish to use and a sample Incident Report that could come in handy.
Impairment in the workplace can have severe consequences. There are many sources of impairment such as fatigue, use of drugs (over the counter, prescription, illicit), consumption of alcohol, etc. This White Paper discusses the implications associated with the use of cannabis for both therapeutic and recreational purposes. The key steps to reducing the impact of impairment on the workplace are to have appropriate mechanisms in place, to provide clear guidance to all workplace parties, and to apply workplace policies and programs using a fair and consistent approach.
This White Paper presents information and recommendations for employers, employees, and others interested in workplace health and safety including how to:
• address the potential for impairment as part of a hazard assessment,
• establish a concise policy and program on the use of any substance that can cause impairment,
• determine the actions the workplace will take regarding impairment,
• implement accommodation practices where necessary (including for therapeutic needs, and substance dependence), and
• create a supportive healthy and safe workplace.