Dave Patriarche founded Mainstay Insurance Brokerage in 1996 as a one-person shop specializing in providing employee benefits to small businesses in the Greater Toronto Area. Mainstay has grown substantially and now has clients across the country, including many Canadian subsidiaries of U.S. based organizations.
Dave is a strong believer in continuing education and recognized the need for the group insurance industry to broaden its efforts in this area. In 2003 he started a small networking group, which evolved into regular breakfast meetings across the GTA and then into regular educational seminars.
He founded CGIB, the Canadian Group Insurance Brokers, an organization dedicated to supporting networking and continuing education for the group insurance industry. He is an accomplished speaker both with CGIB and at other industry events. Dave has worked “behind the scenes” to support and act as an expert witness in cases involving employee benefits and is often chosen as the go-to expert for others in the business. CV available here. Consulting services info. Publications requiring head shots can obtain them here Photo-1 Photo-2
Dave is recognized as a leader in the group benefits industry and is a contributor to various industry publications. He mentors and acts as an informal resource to other benefit brokers, especially those new to the benefits field. He participates in industry think tank groups and panels such as; the Benefits Advisors’ Drug Plan Outlook, National Pharmaceutical Advisory Boards, and the Canadian Leadership Council on Drug Plan Partnerships (2018) He is also a member of the Sanofi Canada Healthcare Survey Advisory Board. You can view some of his recent articles and interviews on the site HERE.
I truly appreciate you coming to Windsor and presenting to my brokers at our Partner Forum. The feedback I’m receiving about your presentation is incredible!
Many Advisors don’t often get the opportunity to attend seminars that are held in Toronto as they are just too far away. The fact that you could bring it to them was amazing.
I look forward to supporting you, the CGIB and your seminars on an on-going basis.
Lindsay Gibson Regional Director, SW Ontario, BBD
Employee Benefits Podcasts
Dave joins Howard Kettner, of BenefitsGenius.ca, in a series of Employee Benefits Podcasts geared to brokers that want to specialize and grow their business. We talk on topics such as; choosing, obtaining, protecting and maintaining the best clients, understanding the difference between the price and cost, mentoring, and much, more.
Arete HR Inc. podcasts explore issues affecting mental health and well-being through conversation with experts. Check out Episode 39 – Making Sure You’re Covered: The Importance of Disability Insurance.
Pleased to be a part of CGIB member Aria Benefits new podcast series featuring Robin Bailey. Robins’ firm specializes in employee benefits & these podcasts show how they are just a bit different than the average broker.
A recent graduate of Seth Godin’s altMBA14 program. Dave joined an online, worldwide, workshop that brings together people of all ages, from a variety of backgrounds and experiences to “level up” and produce. A great opportunity to expand networks, continue lifelong learning and with projects shipped every 48 hours, it may have been one of his toughest challenges yet.
Dave has a passion for his clients, employee benefits, and the group insurance industry as a whole. He is available to speak on a variety of topics to groups of any size from the boardroom to the ballroom. Target audiences include: insurers, TPA’s, GMGA’s, associations, the pharmaceutical industry, brokers, small and mid-sized business owners, human resource professionals, and any others who might benefit from his message. He has spoken to a variety of audiences at events including: Conference for Advanced Life Underwriting (CALU), Canada Sales Congress (CSC), Group Insurance & Pharmaceutical Committee (GIPC), Arete Group Insurance Advisor Conference (AGIAC), Canadian Group Insurance Brokers (CGIB), the Canadian Pension and Benefits (CPBI) Forum (presentation), BenefitsGenius.ca events, and a variety of insurer, GMGA and TPA broker groups from Vancouver to St. John’s.
Past Presentations include:
- Adding Value to your Benefit Client Relationships – 1 hour
- The Pills that Killed the Plan (not) – Prozac to Pot – 1 hour
- Sharing your Value & Building a personal “brag sheet” – 1 hour
- Checklists for new hires, terminations, implementing, changing and terminating groups – 2 hour
- Getting your Prospects to do their own Risk Assessment – 1 hour
- The top 20 NEW things benefit brokers need to know – 1 to 2 hours
- Using the plan administration list to sell, close, prospect and retain your clients – 2 hours
- Selling Value – Group is not just cheap rates – especially if benefits become taxable – 2 hours
- Amending Contracts, Why Insurers Just Can’t Wait ! – 90 minutes
- What’s Going on in Small and Mid-Sized Drug Plans – 1 hour
- “Back to Basics Benefits” – 1 hour
- Benefit Plan Renewals: The challenges and choices, A broker perspective – 60-90 minutes
- Trillium – Past, Present, and Future – Why private payer coordination must occur – 1 hour
- Change Issues – The risks you take switching providers – 2 hours
- Best Practices in Group Insurance – 60-90 minutes
- What you miss, may be what gets you! – 2 hours
- Why Small Employers are NOT implementing changes to their Drug Plans – 1 hour
- Selling Value, Not JUST Price – Small group is not about rates alone – 2 hours
- Ontario Trillium Drug Program – The Integration No One Wants to Admit to – 2 hours
- Building a Plan Administrator Checklist (short version) – 60-90 minutes
- Employment Offers and Terminations and the Implications of Hiring “Independent Contractors” – half day
- Building and Using a Plan Administrator Checklist – 3-4 hours
- Incorporating Technology into your Brokerage – 2 hours
- Build your Group Benefits Business by Marketing to Small Business – 2 hours
- Group Insurance Policies and Contracts – half day
- Forecast or Fortunetelling? Things to think about in benefits for the coming year – 2 hours
- Effective Communication Skills for Youth – 2 hours – half day
- Starting your own Business by working at McDonald’s – 2 hours
- How Giving Back helps to move you forward – 2 hours
- Changes in Group Travel Coverage – 1 hour
- Top 10 Group Benefit Communication/Sales Ideas (from Canada Sales Congress) – 18 minutes
- Don’t see the topic you want? Just ask, we can create one for your audience
If you are interested in having Dave present at your event, please call for pricing and availability 1-877-624-6789 or email@example.com.
Current Speaking Engagement Bookings
2018: November 7 Vaughan, November 8 Vancouver, December 3/4 Toronto 2019: March 6 Vaughan, April 3 Vaughan, April 24 Vaughan, May 1 & 2 Calgary, May 8/9 Ottawa, May 15 Vancouver, June 5 Vaughan, August 15 Vaughan, October 2 Vaughan, November 6 Vaughan 2020: Tentative bookings March 5, May 7, June 4, October 7, November 4
THANK YOU FOR AGREEING TO GIVE THIS “VALUE” SEMINAR TO OUR DISTRIBUTION PARTNERS. THE CONTENT WAS INFORMATIVE AND EXTREMELY USEFUL FOR BOTH THE NEW GROUP ADVISOR AND THE ADVISOR WHO HAS BEEN SELLING GROUP FOR YEARS.
WE ARE ALL AWARE THAT IN ORDER TO RETAIN CLIENTS, WE SHOULD EXPLAIN/SELL ON VALUE RATHER THAN JUST PRICE. ONCE A CLIENT UNDERSTANDS THIS, WE USUALLY RETAIN THAT CLIENT MUCH LONGER THAN IF THEIR FOCUS IS SOLELY ON PRICE.
THE WAY IN WHICH YOU LAID OUT THIS VALUABLE INFORMATION AND IDEAS ON HOW IT COULD BE PRESENTED TO A CLIENT WAS SIMPLE, CLEAR AND INVALUABLE. WE RECEIVED FANTASTIC FEEDBACK ON THE SUBJECT AND LOOK FORWARD TO WORKING WITH YOU AGAIN.
Liane Dozois, Senior Account Executive, Empire Life
Dave has been a proud supporter of the Yonge Street Mission for over 15 years and has introduced many clients and industry members to the Evergreen Dinner Program for street youth. He has also worked with street-involved youth in their efforts to find employment and has spoken on a variety of topics including his famous “I am NOT a cop!” session that talks about starting your own business and using existing job opportunities to launch yourself to the next level.
Personal (and the “sailing stuff”)
Dave spends his spare time with his wife Joanne and their sons Matthew and Mitchell. He also enjoys taking groups sailing on Lake Ontario, the Caribbean, and Mediterranean seas.
Dave’s last BIG adventure sail was a “Heavy Weather” sailing passage with John Kretschmer direct from Nova Scotia to St. Martin in Fall 2015. You can see more on that trip here….
His next BIG adventure is an East to West “Atlantic Crossing” (with John again) in January 2019 from Cape Verde (off the Africa Coast) to Martinique (in the Caribbean). A trip of over 4,000 km (2,200 nautical miles). FOLLOW HIS TRIP HERE
Interested in learning more about Dave’s passion for sailing? Want to come sailing for an afternoon or a day?