Each year at our renewal meeting we discuss your employees claims as well as industry trends that drive costs. If you’re interested in learning more about these, the Telus report shares data from across the majority of the private payer industry.
A few highlights
- The eligible monthly cost per insured increased 7.6% in 2019, compared to a decline of 2.4% in 2018.
- Ontario’s OHIP+ program, which removed insureds under the age of 25 in that province from the book of business for all of 2018 and the first three months of 2019, certainly had an impact.
- Eligible costs jumped by 10.2% in Ontario in 2019; when insureds under the age of 25 are removed, this drops to 5.4%.
- The average annual eligible cost per claimant was $769.13, compared to $675.95 in 2015.
- Generic drugs accounted for 63% of prescriptions filled by private drug plans in 2019, up from 58% five years ago.
- Specialty drugs’ share of eligible costs has more than doubled in the past 10 years, from 14% in 2010 to 30% in 2019.